Thursday, December 13, 2012

Utah-Nebraska

 A Utah morning.  Getting ready to head out on the interstate towards Colorado.
 Ruby ready to go.  Her favorite spot through the whole trip.
 Utah is just gorgeous.  Even in mid-day light.
 Another great way to travel through the west.  Amtrak.
 Shadows.  

I hit Colorado and only took one photo. I just felt claustrophobic driving through there this time after all the wide open spaces.  I couldn't wait to get through the state.  At Denver I went north to Wyoming and then back to the east into the Nebraska panhandle.  Back again to my home state...I feel comfortable in Nebraska and love the wide open spaces of western Nebrasksa.  I stayed overnight in Sidney, home of Cabela's and stayed in the Cabela's campground right behind the mother store and next to the world headquarters.  It was nice to have full hookups and internet for the evening.  I met a retired couple that was in their Class B coach like mine.  They had a 2009 Pleasure-Way on a Sprinter chassis.  They were on a 3 month trip!  That's a long time in a little coach but they were loving it as they had done it several times.
 I loved this motel just outside of Sidney.  The Generic Motel.
 This old place was next to the Generic Motel.  At this point I was on the Lincoln Highway and this was a relic from when there was no interstate.
 In between the cowboy towns on the Lincoln Highway.
 Above and the following are shots from the town of Sunol, Nebraska.  Once a thriving railroad town but now a dusty relic of the past.  Shotgun style building and dirt roads. Not many people around except one guy that, as soon as he saw me, turned around and walked back to his house hidden behind the old trucks in the front yard.  After I passed his house, he came back out and walked to the middle of the road to watch me drive down the road.  Not a real friendly sort.





 The "Public School" was the only building that looked really maintained in the town.  I can't imagine there were that many kids around the area and the surrounding ranches to go there.